Monday 23 June 2008

The Latest Floods

This is important to be talked about. Rather, very important. If I write this with all my literary capacities as an article I would fail, because along with my naiveness it is too complex an issue ladened with miseries, so very difficult to contain when writing. Since only the floods are bad and rains are not, I think a poem will allow the thoughts to bind together better. And I hope I will find a street band to play this as a song one day. Here, I go -

What a shame!
The north of country got flooded again.
Something same happened in the east,
Where waters flowed like beast.

Who is to blame?
The people put it onto rain.
Living outside the country I realize,
How as people we fail, as humans we rise.

Why every year I read again?
Same newspapers, same story, same game.
Same beautiful pictures cleverly,
blended with misery,
doesn’t matters who suffers,
as long as it has the allure,
and some striking colours.

So, how much is the loss, and how much is the claim?
maybe some hundred lives or maximum a gold chain.
Ask me how I counted this figure,
I had met a construction worker.
Who like me was flood struck,
I was turning back but he had to go to work,
I was only some hours away but he was ages,
He told me he looses his few next daily wages.
Yes, but I could not ask or measure,
Life of some kids, who I came to know,
were siphoned through the gutter.

So, who plays this game?
Some officials rolling dices who clearly are so lame.
That rather than building some dams,
or making some good plans,
will buy some boats,
or will pull up registers to count dead goats,
dodging democracy,
even bureaucracy,
so we all can continue this hypocrisy.

So who else shares this responsibility same,
in a country where gods live we proclaim.
Where inevitable is imminent but we shall survive,
even when till the ears the waters rise.
Resilience of people, known the bestest in the world than anyone,
Calmly we wait for the next year to come.


No comments: